Mole River Dam
Mole River Dam
A new rockfill dam at Mole River will deliver improved water security and environmental benefits for NSW and QLD.
- We have been continuing environmental investigations around the Mole River including biodiversity, ecological and heritage surveys
- In the coming weeks we will begin groundwater monitoring and further environmental investigations such as noise and soil surveys
WaterNSW has released a 20-year infrastructure options study for rural river valleys which addresses future challenges in operating regulated river systems. The objective of the study was to guide water infrastructure investment by all levels of government.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison and NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian have announced a jointly funded package of around $1bn for the planning and delivery of three new or augmented dams in NSW. This includes $24m for a Final Business Case for building a new dam on Mole River, in the Border Rivers region of NSW.
The Border Rivers is a large catchment that services both NSW and QLD users. Its water supply is serviced by three relatively small catchment dams and large on-farm storages. A new dam will have the potential to secure more water in flood sequences so that in drier times more water would be available to communities, agriculture, and the environment.
- Enables sustained on-farm productivity as a result of more reliable and secure water supply
- Increased reliability for agricultural production will help secure existing jobs and create new opportunities
- Will improve security of town water supply and provide flood mitigation
- Potential benefits for the downstream Barwon-Darling system through increased flow reliability and associated environmental health outcomes
- Benefits are shared between QLD and NSW
Estimated project timeline
- 2020 Community engagement commences
- Year One Concept Design & Environmental Assessment
- End of Year Two Project Determination
- Year Three Detailed Design and Pre-Construction enabling work
- From Year Four Dam construction (Construction is expected to take 2-4 years, dependent on design)
Years 2-4 are subject to the final business case and Government funding decision in 2021.
Planning and delivery
For detailed project planning information please visit the .
View the (PDF)
To speak with the Project Team, phone 1800 560 729 or email firstname.lastname@example.org